Location: Federal Way, WA
Work Type: In-office till training is completed, then hybrid
Salary: $48K to $55K
Category: Employee Benefits
If you have an interest in learning about or expanding your employee group benefits knowledge, and you have solid admin skills, this rare entry-level role could be a great career start!
My client is an employee benefits agency located in the Federal Way/Tacoma area of Washington. Employee benefits are medical, dental, vision, and other group benefits that employers provide to their employees. My client specializes in working with local area businesses and prides themselves on their excellent client customer service.
This position will involve both phone and email interaction with internal and external customers as well as Insurance Carriers. This is a full time in-office role. Hours are Mon to Fri 9 am to 5 pm. The job is fast-paced with lots of variety. You get to wear a lot of hats in this position. The client offers salary with full benefits, free parking, industry product training and paid continuing education. It is a fun team with a great work/life balance. Once you are fully able to work independently, you will be able to work some days from home if desired.
You will start by learning how to do non-licensed administrative tasks such as answering phones, determining who the customer needs to talk to, preparing enrollment packets, sending in enrollments, processing terminations and address changes, and helping to support the Customer Service Team lead. This will give you some time to learn the basics of the back-office paperwork flow and will get you familiar with employee benefits terms and processes.
Once you are familiar with the basics, you will start studying for your Life & Disability license. It is a 40-hour online class that you will be working on while you continue to do your non-licensed tasks. Once you have completed the course, you will take the WA state licensing test. Once you pass, you will be able to start doing licensed tasks and you will also be eligible for a raise.
Key job duties:
- Answers questions regarding policy coverage information (ex: Rx benefit, covered procedures, plan provisions, plan limitations, etc.)
- Acts as a liaison with insurance carriers and providers (hospitals, doctors, dentists, labs) to resolve claims issues and aid with the appeals process
- Assists with ID card requests, processes address changes, and helps with network searches
- Processes enrollments, terminations, and changes for select clients
- Helps add new HR personnel to the carrier online portals
- Answers general questions that come in daily including coordination of benefits, covered benefits, eligibility, merger & acquisitions, compliance, etc.
- Answers a high volume of calls and emails and maintains a response rate according to our standards
- Helps complete compliance forms and notifications
- Answers billing questions regarding enrollment changes
- Helps clients with bill discrepancies and bill audits
The long-term goal for this role is to provide you with day-to-day benefits training so that you have the tools to grow into a licensed Account Manager in the future.
To be considered for this role, candidates need to have a high school degree (college preferred), solid Outlook, Word and Excel and fast keyboarding skills, a willingness to learn, good clear phone voice, and past experience working full time in an office setting with strong attention to detail. You must be able to obtain a WA state life and disability insurance license if you don’t already have one, and you need to live a commutable distance from the Fife/Federal Way area. Experience with insurance employee benefits terms such as deductibles and co-pays is strongly preferred. The company wants to hire right away.
To apply, email your resume to email@example.com or call 425-298-0278.