$42K to $50K+ (DOE) with substantial bonus
Are you a Commercial Insurance Underwriter that is fed up with having low authority limits and little decision making autonomy? Are you working in an insurance agency as a Commercial Lines Account Manager and secretly wishing that you were an Underwriter instead? Are you an experienced commercial lines claims rep and want to learn underwriting?
If you answered “YES” to any of these, and you want to live in the beautiful, low traffic, Bellingham, WA area, then my client would love to talk to you!
My client is a specialty transportation underwriter with clients across much of the USA. They are unique in that they provide programs to a wide range of customers and look for creative out of the box ways to help them meet their insurance needs.
In this position, you will go through an in-house customized training program to familiarize you with computer systems, coverages offered, underwriting methods, and specific carrier program appetites. You will work in a team-based, highly supportive environment. They will teach you how to search for solutions, analyze, and price for risk characteristics vs. placing a risk in a box.
The company enjoys many long-standing relationships with both their agents and their carriers, and has a very high retention ratio.
They offer great career stability, friendly supportive team members, base salary and exceptionally generous year-end bonus/profit sharing, full benefits, and the chance to underwrite with broad authority and a lot of autonomy.
This is a full time, permanent, Mon to Fri in-office role (no work from home options).
Key job specifics include:
- Review, analyze, underwrite, quote, bind and endorse new and renewal business within broad individual underwriting authority level.
- Make individual risk decisions relative to acceptability and price for business assigned with the focus on minimizing loss, while increasing profitability
- Rate and quote multi-state accounts in custom built underwriting system
- Request and obtain renewal information as needed.
- Request additional information from brokers as needed to underwrite new business.
- Communicate with brokers on status of quote and other issues of concern.
- Complete cancel/rewrite policies in accordance with carrier guidelines and company procedures.
- Review and process Broker of Record Letters in a timely manner, no later than 24 hours of receipt.
- Assist brokers with various tasks or requests such as higher level endorsements, final audit issues, troubleshooting, etc.
- Perform file documentations and underwriting notes in preparation for policy issuance.
- Review loss control reports for bound business and monitor for rec compliance.
- Review individual account claim frequency and severity during policy term and annual renewal as needed.
- Maintain solid broker relationships over the phone, email, and regular personal visits.
- Build and maintain favorable carrier relationships over the phone, email, and personal interaction.
- Assist other underwriters when workloads demand or when others are out of the office.
- Meet deadlines set forth by management and/or underwriters within the team.
- Meet production, retention, hit ratio, and profitability goals set forth by management.
- Successfully pass internal, state, and carrier file audit reviews.
The client is looking for commercial insurance experience ideally from the insurance carrier or agency side, past underwriting experience is preferred. Any transportation coverage experience is a huge plus, but is not required. A WA P & C license is needed, but can be obtained once employed. Strong Microsoft Office skills are needed. Soft skills include the ability to creatively think about a risk, be coachable, be a good problem solver, be proficient at interfacing with a wide range of personalities, and being organized and able to work independently.
The client is looking for a long-term commitment to the Bellingham, WA area.
Local candidates are preferred, however, out of state candidates that are moving to the Bellingham area in the next few weeks are welcome to apply. Some relocation assistance is available.
To apply, email your resume to email@example.com or call 425-298-0278 to arrange a phone interview and learn more about this rare opportunity.